The News Director leads and supervises all aspects of news, including broadcast and digital, weather and sports programming.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Manages all aspects of the News Department (other than Production.)
• Plans and manages staffing, training, and performance evaluations for the News Department.
• Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees.
• Develops news coverage strategy for the station and its website.
• Critiques newscasts on a daily basis to correct errors, improve coverage and provide mentoring feedback to news staff.
• Assigns projects to staff and verifies that deadlines are being met.
• Ensures achievement of viewer rating goals.
• Determines programming and evaluation of equipment needs to produce quality programming.
• Responds to coverage questions.
• Works with other senior station leaders to establish and reach station goals.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Charleston – 25301
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The News Director must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions. Must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
You must apply online to be considered for this position. Please go to:
www.nexstar.tv to access all career opportunities for WOWK-TV and Nexstar Media Group, Inc.
WOWK-TV is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply online at: https://broadcastcareers-nexstar.icims.com
|Apply Online URL:
|Job Req #: