Congratulations to BSU English Screenwriting professor, Rani Crowe, who received multiple accolades this summer! Rani teaches students in the Film/Screenwriting minor, an 18-credit minor offering courses in film history, analysis, and theory from TCOM and beginning and advanced screenwriting from the English department. Many of our TCOM production students minor in Film/Screenwriting.
- Rani’s 1/2-hour TV pilot script, Recess Duty, based on her short story of the same name, advanced to Round Two of the Sundance Episodic Lab application.
- Her 1/2-hour TV pilot comedy script of Heather Has Four Moms was selected for the Austin Revolution Film Festival.
- Her short film, The Test, was accepted to Austin Micro Short Film Festival and Broad Humor.
- The short film Rani directed, Welfare Check, was accepted to its first festival, The Chi-Town Multicultural Film Festival in Chicago. Welfare Check was written by BSU English professor and TCOM gradd Kathryn Gardner’s and stars Ball State alumna, Cynda Willliams.
- Rani’s short film, Heather Has Four Moms was recently accepted to Out Connecticut Film Festival in Hartford, CT, the CINEMQ Film Festival in Shanghai, China, Woods Hole Film Festival in Woods Hole, MA, Cardiff Mini Film Festival in Wales, Out for Reel LGBT Film Series in Northampton, MA, Atlanta ShortsFest in Atlanta, GA, the Freiburger Lesbian Festival in Freiburger, Germany, La Frontera Queer Film Festival in Brownsville, Texas, Macon Film Festival in Macon, GA, the San Antonio Film Festival in San Antonio, Texas, Women in Comedy Film Festival Atlanta, and the Iowa Independent Film Festival.
- Heather Has Four Moms also won the Best Comedy Award at the Equinox Women’s Film Festival in Alaska, and Best Narrative Short at the First Sandy Dennis Film Festival in Hastings, Nebraska, and Best Written Work at the Louisiana LGBT Film Festival in New Orleans.
- Heather was invited by Pride Pictures to screen at The Communal Queer Youth Center at Karlsruhe, Germany as part of a special event for queer teenagers. Beeston Film Festival in the UK invited Heather to participate in a special screening program curated around issues of identity. It was also invited to screen in Sacramento at Art Mix Pride at the Crocker Museum, at the Pride Festival in Champaign, Illinois at the Art Theater, and Cincinnati at Homebrewed Independent Movie Night as Outreels Audience Favorite from 2018.
- Rani’s short film script, The Shoot, was accepted to the University Film and Video Association Conference 2019 screenwriting panel, and her presentation, Introducing Mixtape: The Inclusive Educator’s Diverse Playlist, has been accepted to the UFVA Conference for a panel on inclusive pedagogy.
- Rani was awarded a $1,500 grant from The Puffin Foundation to produce her short film, The Shoot, about a sexual assault that occurs on a film set while filming a sex scene.Rani shot principal photography for The Shoot in July.
- In August, Heather Has Four Moms was accepted to PERLEN – Queer Film Festival Hannover in Germany, Detroit Shetown Film Festival, Some Prefer Cake Lesbian Film Festival in Bologna, Italy.
- Rani also had a screenwriting adaptation assignment published on the peer reviewed EDIT Media (Equity Diversity &Inclusion in Teaching Media) website.
Congratulations, Rani! Our screenwriting students are so lucky to have you!